Talk:Why do I keep dying?
Amulets aren't save (Change,Strangulation)
The statement "weapons, armour and amulets are save", is very misleading, amulets can be very dangerous, even more than rings. They can be the Amulet of change or the Amulet of strangulation that are worse than any ring-sideeffekt. The Amulet of strangualation is always cursed, and even if you removed the curse somehow you still dangerous, if someone doesn't know why he is choking. An there is the Amulet of change, that disapears after use and changes your sex permanently. If you tried it on the effekt can't be undone in a simple way. The Amulet of change needn't to be cursed for doing that. In fact Amulets can be much worse than rings, so one should never use-test an Amulet, regardless of its BUC status. --18.104.22.168 21:57, 17 March 2013 (UTC)
- It's not misleading. The article does mention you should curse-test these first; an uncursed amulet of strangulation is not dangerous as you can simply remove it. (They're generated cursed only 90.5% of the time according to the amulet of strangulation page, anyway.)
- As for "someone doesn't know why he is choking" – I think "It constricts your throat! o - an amulet of strangulation (being worn)." is clear enough.
- As for amulets of change, those are not dangerous at all. The only effect is that your gender is inverted; this only matters for foocubus interaction and eggs, both of which are rarely important (and in the case of foocubus interaction, you can simply find opposite-gender foocubi; the special case for rings of adornment is unlikely to matter). —bcode talk | mail 01:33, 18 March 2013 (UTC)
Is the article updated for Nethack 3.6.0?
I did some updating to the article, but I don't know if everything is in accord to Nethack 3.6.0 — I'm a new player. Can someone please confirm it?
- I think with the edit I just made, everything should be good for 3.6.0. Mainly just the bits about spamming Elbereth on the ground don't work anymore.
- I did delete this line, which used to be the last paragraph of the top section: "You noticed the part about Engraving Elbereth in the dust with your fingers, didn't you? Now, did you try it the last time you died? There you go."
- The deletion was mainly because my edit was to eliminate the article's condescending tone, not because of the Elbereth advice. I think the advice still applies even with Elbereth being weaker, but I couldn't come up with a way to rewrite this and get the same point across.
- --Phol ende wodan (talk) 16:52, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
- "As is mentioned in the Guidebook, you can engrave Elbereth in the dust with your fingers to scare monsters. While in practice this isn't going to save you if you're surrounded by a pack of rothes, it can be a lifesaver if you're being chased by a single, very powerful foe that would otherwise kill you." --Bluescreenofdeath (talk) 07:58, 24 January 2017 (UTC)