Fumbling is a property acquired extrinsically by wearing gauntlets of fumbling or fumble boots. You also fumble when walking on ice unless you are wearing snow boots or are naturally cold resistant (e.g. a valkyrie or polymorphed into a winter wolf). Wearing cursed gauntlets of fumbling or fumble boots counts as a minor trouble.
- Abuses dexterity every five turns.
- Every d20 turns, you'll slip or trip and be helpless for 2 turns if you attempt to move that turn; if you're carrying more than a certain amount, you'll make noise and alert nearby monsters; if you're riding, you'll fall off.
- You fall when going down stairs.
- Your dexterity is abused if you try to move into a closed door.
- Saddling ridable monsters is less likely to succeed.
- Attempting to mount a steed will always fail.
- Digging with an implement may not succeed, and may cause it to hit you or be dropped.
- Your chance of disarming a trap is halved.
- You have no chance of disarming a container trap or trapped door.
- You have no chance of escaping traps.
- Setting traps may cause them to go off.
- Applying cans of grease can cause you to drop them.
- You are less likely when applying a bullwhip to produce the desired effect, and may drop it instead.
- Kicking monsters or objects is less likely to be successful.
- As a Valkyrie, Mjollnir will hit your arm rather than be caught on its return.
- Returning boomerangs will hit you rather than be caught.
- The following items will end up on the floor rather than in your inventory:
- potions of oil that you light (if one of several)
- wished-for items
- tins made with a tinning kit
- items from a horn of plenty
- scrolls of mail
- gems thrown at you while you're a unicorn
- items stolen as a nymph
- weapons snagged with a bullwhip
- arrows created by the Longbow of Diana
- saddles removed from a steed
- written scrolls and spellbooks.