|Base price||36 zm|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
A magic flute is a magical tonal instrument, and can be used to play the passtune. Improvising with a charged magic flute will put nearby monsters (including pets) to sleep unless they resist (see below). It also exercises dexterity, and consumes a charge.
The radius of the effect is squares. At various levels this calculates to:
- You start playing the flute. You produce soft music.
- You improvised on a magic flute.
The magic flute has its biggest advantage over the wand of sleep or sleep spell in that those methods are targeted in a single direction, while the magic flute is omni-directional. This comes in handy in open-spaced levels where the player may be attacked from all sides, or as a defense against monsters who immediately summon other monsters completely surrounding the player. Similar to doorway combat, one can use the sleeping monsters as protection, and funnel the remaining monsters through to fight them one-by-one.
With this thou canst do mighty deeds
And change men's passions for thy needs:
A man's despair with joy allay,
Turn bachelors old to lovers gay.
- apply.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 2947: a tonal instrument
- music.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 385: puts monsters to sleep
- music.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 391: exercises dexterity
- music.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 387: consumes a charge
- music.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 393: behaves as a wooden flute when uncharged
- shk.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 3860: usage fee is ¼ of the full price
- music.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 96: effect lasts 1d10+10 turns
- music.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 97: need rousing to wake up
- mkobj.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 517: created with 1d5+4 charges
- read.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 400: may be charged any number of times
- read.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 412: uncursed charging 1d4 charges
- read.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 407: blessed charging 2d4 charges
- read.c, line 409, read.c, line 413 max 20 charges