Wooden objects are subject to burning and rotting. However, the usual sources of burning and rotting do not affect weapons, so wooden weapons are generally considered naturally erodeproof. It is still possible to burn wooden weapons by dropping them into lava.
Polymorphing into a gelatinous cube will allow you to eat wooden items, which can be very occasionally useful for getting getting otherwise unobtainable intrinsics. Monster gelatinous cubes will also eat wooden items off the ground.
List of wooden items
The following items are made of wood:
- elven daggers and the artifact Sting
- elven short swords
- elven broadswords and the artifact Orcrist
- quarterstaffs and the artifact The Staff of Aesculapius
- elven spears
- orcish bows
- bows and the artifact Longbow of Diana
- elven bows
- elven arrows
- small shields
- elven shields
- wooden flutes
- wooden harps
- magic harps
- large boxes
- Many wands are wooden, depending on their randomized appearance
- rings with the wooden appearance are wooden
This is not expected to be a complete list at this time.