How about making separate columns for intelligence status, and when-wielded, when-carried, and when-invoked effects? --Tjr 02:10, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
- Done, although sorting is broken now. --Gordon schumway 17:42, 5 June 2011 (UTC)
- Does anyone know how to fix the sorting? Derekt75 17:32, 11 October 2011 (UTC)
Move list to it's own page?
With the current size of this table and the amount of information that could potentially be added to it ( and still be tremendously useful), I think it could deserve it's own page (eg List of artifacts). What are the pros and cons of moving this table to it's own page?
--Dptr1988 02:46, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
- The main issue is editing all the articles that link here. BTW, what should artifact contain after the list were removed? It feels a bit empty to me ... --Tjr 02:54, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, it would be kind of empty if the list was moved. I guess the suggestion was based on the assumption that the Artifact article would grow in time. So maybe given the current size of the article, this suggestion is premature and could be put aside until the article has grown enough to easily stand on it's own.
- --Dptr1988 02:58, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
Anyone have the info on how often artifacts are randomly generated? Does the number of currently existing artifacts affect the chances of a new one being created, or is that just for wishing? AileTheAlien 05:04, 15 January 2011 (UTC)
- It's not affected by previous artifact generation directly. Rather, every time a weapon or piece of armor is created, there is a 1/20 chance the game will attempt to make it into an artifact; see mkobj.c#line404. Note that there isn't actually any artifact armor in the game other than the Mitre of Holiness, which can't be randomly generated. SLASH'EM does have some, however. -Ion frigate 06:23, 15 January 2011 (UTC)
Are invocation items really artifacts? --126.96.36.199 12:06, 5 September 2011 (UTC)
- No, they are not, they are just unique. You can #name them, and they don't reduce your chance of wishing for artifacts (but the quest artifact does). --Tjr 06:17, 19 September 2011 (UTC)
Then what the hell DO we do with them?
The page suggests that selling artifacts is a chump's game, with shopkeepers underpaying and overcharging for such things. But, if you're in a situation where you're a well-armed combat wombat and you happen across a junk artifact (Ogresmasher was the one I happened across earlier today), what else should a person do with it? I'm certainly not going to wield it, and carrying it around is just making it harder not to be burdened. Is there an optimal strategy for what to do with useless artifacts? Delbow (talk) 06:01, 17 June 2012 (UTC)
- Ignore it. If it can be used against you (vorbal blade especially) you may wish to bury it or store it in an Elbereth'd container simply to prevent monsters from using it. But if neither you nor monsters have any special use for it, just leave it on the ground. You could sell it, but I'd argue that the gold you get from it would only be useful in the earliest portion of the game. A few light and expensive artifacts are actually good for credit cloning, however. -- Qazmlpok (talk) 11:28, 17 June 2012 (UTC)
- See also here for which artifacts are worth ascending with, for the extra score. But keep in mind two things: firstly, those with a high enough value-to-weight ratio are generally desirable in the first place, and secondly, the effect on your score is pretty small for a usual game. -Ion frigate (talk) 14:44, 17 June 2012 (UTC)
3.6.0 artifact changes
I'm not a wiki magician, but noticed these notes hadn't been mentioned anywhere yet, if someone else wants to handle it:
- Eye of the Aethiopica, Eyes of the Overworld, and Sceptre of Might must be worn or wielded rather than just carried to convey magic resistance
- Mitre of Holiness and Tsurugi of Muramasa convey Protection when worn/wielded
Merge Artifact weapon into this article
As User:Ion frigate mentioned, the second article is 90% redundant and 10% artifact damage calculations. Anyone have any agreements or disagreements they want to voice on the matter so we can decide on what to do? --Umbire the Phantom (talk) 14:10, 3 July 2023 (UTC)