User:Bluescreenofdeath/Sinks and toilets

From NetHackWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

In SLASH'EM Extended, rings can be identified by dropping them down a sink, just like in vanilla NetHack, but the chance that the ring is regurgitated and not lost was increased to 50%. Additionally, version 2.1.7 introduced the ability to identify amulets by dropping them down a toilet, which can sometimes cause the amulet to be cursed (no message is given if that happens) or rusted (with "The <amulet> rusts!" message). Amulets are preserved with a 75% chance, but the remaining 25% the amulet is not only lost, the player also gets surrounded with hostile out of depth monsters. If you can't handle those monsters, consider using phase door via technique or scroll, or another form of teleportation; a sufficiently high-level character with teleportitis can press Ctrl-T to teleport at will. Testing amulets on a no-teleport level may be a Bad Idea.

Identifying rings with a sink

All rings may be identified by dropping them into sinks. The sink will show an effect depending on the type of ring. Rings of searching and slow digestion will never be lost; all other rings will be lost down the drain with 50% probability.

After receiving the message you will be given the opportunity to name the kind of ring you dropped, but only if you have not already named it. A ring of hunger will also not give you the opportunity, if it fails to destroy an item. Of course, if you have a duplicate of the ring you dropped, you can always name that instead.

Note that most messages require that you are not blind, and the ring of hunger requires that there is a (preferably worthless) object already on the sink. If these are not the case, you will just get "You hear the ring bouncing down the drain pipe."

NetHack message Type of ring Notes
You thought your [ring] got lost in the sink, but there it is! searching Ring is not lost
The ring is regurgitated! slow digestion Ring is not lost
The sink quivers upward for a moment. levitation
You smell rotten fruit. poison resistance
Static electricity surrounds the sink. shock resistance
You hear loud noises coming from the drain. conflict
The water flow seems fixed. sustain ability
The water flow seems stronger now. gain strength (at least +0)
The water flow seems weaker now. gain strength (-1 or worse)
The water flow seems greater now. gain constitution (at least +0)
The water flow seems lesser now. gain constitution (-1 or worse)
The water flow hits the drain. increase accuracy (at least +0)
The water flow misses the drain. increase accuracy (-1 or worse)
The water's force seems greater now. increase damage (at least +0)
The water's force seems smaller now. increase damage (-1 or worse)
Several flies buzz around the sink. meat ring
Several flies buzz angrily around the sink. aggravate monster
Suddenly, <item> vanish(es) from the sink! hunger An item must be on the sink. Some items may resist.[1]
The faucets flash brightly for a moment. adornment Does not distinguish negative enchantment
The sink looks as good as new. regeneration
You don't see anything happen to the sink. invisibility
You see the ring slide right down the drain! free action
You see some air in the sink. see invisible
The sink seems to blend into the floor for a moment. stealth
The hot water faucet flashes brightly for a moment. fire resistance
The cold water faucet flashes brightly for a moment. cold resistance
The sink looks nothing like a fountain. protection from shape changers
The sink glows silver for a moment. protection (at least +0)
The sink glows black for a moment. protection (-1 or worse)
The sink glows white for a moment. warning
The sink momentarily vanishes. teleportation
The sink looks like it is being beamed aboard somewhere. teleport control
The sink momentarily looks like a fountain. polymorph
The sink momentarily looks like a regularly erupting geyser. polymorph control
The sink looks groovy. mood ring
You hear loud snores coming from the drain. sleeping
The water flow seems faster now. gain dexterity (at least +0)
The water flow seems slower now. gain dexterity (-1 or worse)
The water flow seems quicker now. gain intelligence or gain wisdom (at least +0)
The water flow seems duller now. gain intelligence or gain wisdom (-1 or worse)
The water flow seems harder now. cursed ring of practice
The water flow seems easier now. noncursed ring of practice
The water's power seems greater now. ring of heavy attack (at least +0)
The water's power seems smaller now. ring of heavy attack (-1 or worse)
The water flow seems straighter now. ring of confusion resistance
The drain stops vibrating for a moment. ring of restration
No water is dropping down the sink anymore. ring of lootcut
The sink is rapidly changing shape. ring of form shifting
The water flow seems to be delayed! ring of lagging
The sink first flashes silver, then black. ring of blesscursing
The sink seems to be breaking apart at the seams. ring of illiteracy
The sink looks clean and neat for a moment. ring of sickness resistance
The water flow pauses for a moment. ring of disarming
The water flow becomes extremely fast for a moment! ring of alacrity
The water looks extremely disgusting for a moment. ring of nastiness
The water looks really icky for a moment. ring of bad effect
The water flow seems to be stuck in an infinite loop. ring of superscrolling
No water is flowing down the sink anymore. ring of anti drop
The sink actively stops the water flow in its tracks! ring of ensnaring
The sink water turns into pee... ewww... ring of diarrhea
Some writing seems to vanish from the water flow! ring of disengraving
The water flow seems to stop completely! ring of no skill
The water flow slows down to a crawl. ring of low stats
The water doesn't seem to find its way downward any longer! ring of failed training
The water flows toward the drain but just can't seem to reach it! ring of failed exercise
The sink seems to be cursed! ring of autocursing
The sink seems to age rapidly! ring of time spending
The water vanishes down the drain incredibly quickly! ring of fast metabolism
The water flow stutters for a moment. ring of numbness
A malignant aura seems to surround the sink... ring of curse
The sink's color appears to be less saturated. ring of dimness
You behold the unspeakable visage of the sink! ring of doom
The sink emits a three-colored flash! ring of elements
The sink shines brightly for a few seconds! ring of light
The sink is momentarily surrounded by an anti-magic shell. ring of magic resistance
The sink seems to be reintegrating. ring of material stability
You are not sure if there is anything happening to the sink at all. ring of random effects or ring of special effects
A purple aura surrounds the sink. ring of mind shielding
The sink looks like it's crying... ring of blood loss
Some parts of the sink seem missing... ring of intrinsic loss
You realize more details of the sink's architecture! ring of trap revealing
The sink flashes in wonderful rainbow colors! ring of hallucination
The sink seems undestroyable. ring of timely backup
The sink drains energy from the ring! ring of leech
Terrible things are happening to the sink... ring of danger
The sink seems to glow red for a moment! ring of infravision
The water seems to flow more steadily. ring of fear resistance
The sink looks exactly as you remember it. ring of memory
A portcullis crashes onto the sink, but the sink is unharmed! ring of immunity to drawbridges
Waterdrops are quickly running down the drain. ring of discount action

Identifying amulets with a toilet

All amulets may be identified by dropping them into toilets. The toilet will show an effect depending on the type of amulet. After receiving the message you will be given the opportunity to name the kind of amulet you dropped, but only if you have not already named it. Of course, if you have a duplicate of the amulet you dropped, you can always name that instead.

There is a 75% chance that the amulet will be preserved. If that happens, there is a 33% chance that it becomes cursed with no message, so a previously pet-tested amulet may become unsafe after testing it this way, and a separate 33% chance that the amulet rusts if it was made of a rustprone material. A thoroughly rusty amulet will always rust away when dropped down a toilet. If the amulet was not preserved, "Something comes out of the toilet!" and d6 hostile out of depth monsters are summoned.

NetHack message Type of amulet
Suddenly the toilet seems to be made for the opposite gender! amulet of change
It seems the toilet has found inner peace. amulet of peace
The toilet seems to be a fountain for a moment. amulet of polymorph
The toilet water no longer flows down the drain! amulet of drain resistance
You think you saw a rat in the toilet! amulet of ESP
The toilet seems to be afraid of the walking dead! amulet of undead warning
The toilet seems to be afraid of other toilets! amulet of own race warning
The toilet seems to be afraid of venomous pee! amulet of poison warning
The toilet seems to be afraid of being used without a warning! amulet of covetous warning
The toilet soars to the <ceiling>, then lands again. amulet of flying
The toilet gains an extra life! amulet of life saving
The toilet water flows down the drain without requiring the flushing to be operated! amulet of magical breathing
The toilet water seems to come back out of the drain! amulet of reflection
The toilet doesn't feel like operating. amulet of restful sleep
You can't see whether something is happening to the toilet! amulet of blindness
The toilet seems to scream in agony silently. amulet of strangulation
The toilet suddenly seems to fall apart. amulet of premature death
The toilet seems indestructible. amulet of unchanging
The dirty toilet water turns clear. amulet versus poison
The toilet seems to be anchored to the spot. amulet of anti-teleportation
The toilet doesn't turn to stone. amulet versus stone
The toilet is definitely made of porcelain. Not mineral. amulet of depetrify
The toilet is surrounded by a magical shield! amulet of magic resistance
The toilet no longer smells of urine and crap. amulet of sickness resistance
Some garbage floats up to the toilet water's surface. amulet of swimming
The toilet seems very firm. amulet of disintegration resistance
The toilet seems resistant to cleaning vinegar solutions. amulet of acid resistance
The toilet seems to be self-repairing. amulet of regeneration
The toilet drones loudly! amulet of conflict
You feel that your stream of pee missed the toilet! amulet of fumbling
The toilet breaks apart and reintegrates! amulet of second chance
The toilet seems absolutely safe. amulet of data storage
The toilet paper swims on the water without getting wet! amulet of waterwalking
The toilet flushes very quickly! amulet of hunger
The flushing seems to create much more water than usual! amulet of power
The toilet seems to be drawing energy from the surroundings. amulet of leech
You suddenly develop a fear of toilets! amulet of danger
The toilet seems ready to operate forever. amulet of insomnia
The toilet seems to be operating steadily. amulet of mental stability
The toilet water cleans instantly! amulet of contamination resistance
Something strange is happening to the toilet. amulet of the RNG or amulet of infinity
The toilet flow seems faster. amulet of speed
The toilet seems to be a regularly erupting geyser for a moment. amulet of polymorph control
The toilet seems to be beamed aboard somewhere. amulet of teleport control
The toilet sparkles in rainbow colors! amulet of prism
The toilet suddenly looks like something straight out of an acid trip! amulet of warp dimension
The toilet water looks like lava for a moment! amulet of D-type equipment
The toilet no longer fears death. amulet versus death spell
The toilet flushes twice. amulet of quick attack
The toilet flushes four times in quick succession. amulet of quadruple attack
The toilet seems uselessly adorned. pendant or necklace
A malignant aura surrounds the toilet for a moment, but is repelled by a magical shield. amulet versus curses
The toilet no longer seems there... until you feel for it. Why can't you see it? amulet of RMB loss
The dust particles and dirt inside the toilet suddenly change their positions! amulet of item teleportation
The toilet seems to be engulfed in a massive explosion! amulet of explosion
You suddenly see a fat log of shit inside the toilet! amulet of wrong seeing
The water flow is suddenly too weak to flush away anything. amulet of weak magic
The water flows up instead of down! amulet of directional swap
The toilet is surrounded by a malignant aura. amulet of sudden curse
The toilet seems to be impossible to improve. amulet of anti-experience
The toilet seems to be made of stone. amulet of stone
You don't remember whether there was a toilet at all. (If hallucinating, also says "You also forgot that you have to take a crap, and shit your trousers by mistake.") amulet of map amnesia
You feel like you lost an important part of yourself. amulet of depression
The amulet seems to hang in mid-air, even though you heard it slide down the drain! amulet of screwy interface
The toilet looks like a gravestone for a moment. amulet of bones
The toilet seems very non-magical. amulet of spell forgetting
The toilet suddenly threatens to attack you! amulet of hostility
You suddenly seem to see <randomname> taking a crap! amulet of evil crafting
The toilet looks delicious! You wonder whether you can eat it. (If hallucinating, also says "In fact, it seems to have turned into an edible bra! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... candy!") amulet of edibility
Suddenly, a very loud flushing sound seems to jolt you back to your senses. amulet of waking
There's a ton of useless garbage in the toilet. Better flush it quickly. amulet of trash
You are suddenly overcome with an urge to pull down your pants. amulet of undressing
A searing ray of light shines brightly at the toilet! amulet of starlight
The very air seems to erode the toilet. amulet of vulnerability
A sword tries to smash the upper part of the toilet, but somehow misses wildly! amulet of neck brace
The toilet momentarily looks like a space station. amulet of technicality
  1. do.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 324: Balls and chains bound to you will resist, whereas normal objects will resist with 1% chance, artifacts with 99% chance, and unique items and the Amulet always