When creating your character, you may choose a gender: male or female. This affects a number of events in the game:
- Female characters can lay eggs when polymorphed into a monster that lays eggs
- Any eggs found and carried by male characters have a 50/50 chance of hatching tame. Eggs found and carried by females will never hatch tame. (Eggs laid by you will always hatch tame, regardless of your current gender.)
- Male characters are seduced by the succubus, female characters by the incubus. During seduction, incubi will put a ring of adornment on your hand if you have one, while succubi will steal them.
- Male characters are "seduced" by nymphs while female characters will be "charmed".
- Female characters will get slightly more matching foocubi from demon summoning.
Monsters can be gendered (including neuter), but this affects only the pronoun used to describe their actions.
In SLASH'EM, Yeomen always start as male.
In Slash'EM Extended, the player character's gender has some more effects:
- Male characters can be kicked in the nuts by a monster that uses kicking attacks, suffering (2dX)+1 extra damage (where X is the monster's level). If the player dies from it, the tombstone message will read "killed by a kick in the nuts".
- Female characters can be ripped into their breasts by a monster that uses claw attacks, suffering (2dX)+1 extra damage (where X is the monster's level). If the player dies from it, the tombstone message will read "killed by a cowardly attack on her breasts".
- If a male character gets his items stolen by a female monster, he may lose a point of charisma. The chance that this type of theft attack is successful is 80%.
- If a female character gets her items stolen by a male monster, she may lose a point of wisdom. The chance that this type of theft attack is successful is 66%.
- If a character gets their items stolen by a monster of the same gender, the theft attack has a 50% chance of success and cannot reduce stats.
Since the claw attack appears many more often than the kick attack, female characters are in more danger of suffering extra damage. However, most item-stealing monsters (especially nymphs) are usually female, so a male character will suffer from stat loss more often.
Recent Slash'EM Extended versions display the character's gender in the status line: "Mal" for male characters and "Fem" for females.