|Printable ASCII characters|
In NetHack, the letter X serves the following purposes:
- Press x to swap your primary and secondary weapons.
- Press shift + x to begin two-weapon combat.
- Press ctrl + x to display your base attributes.
- Engrave the character x to engrave without breaking illiterate conduct.
- X may also refer to the X Window System.
In Hack 1.21, a variant of Jay Fenlason's Hack, the xyloman used the x glyph, while the xerp used the X glyph. In Hack for PDP-11, the X glyph is instead given to the xorn, while the xerp is moved to the x glyph. In Hack 1.0, the xerp is replaced by the xan as the monster using the x glyph.
SLASH'EM introduces additional monsters that use the x glyph:
dNetHack introduces additional monsters that use the x and X glyphs:
The 'new' monsters that use the x and X glyphs are as follows:
- x xan or mythical/fantastic insect:
- x jitterbug
- X large deep-rock dweller