Potion of gain energy
|Base price||150 zm|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
A blessed potion will increase maximum energy by 3d6, an uncursed potion will increase maximum energy by 2d6, and a cursed potion will decrease maximum energy by 1d6. Your current energy is then increased or decreased by three times the change, which is capped at your maximum energy (or 0 for a cursed potion).
All potions of gain energy exercise wisdom when quaffed.
Most spell-casting characters will appreciate having spare potions of gain energy if needed in a pinch; most characters in general will appreciate them more for their alchemy potential.
Mixing a potion of gain energy and a potion of healing/extra healing/full healing will "upgrade" them to an uncursed and diluted potion of extra healing, full healing, or gain ability, respectively. If you dip a potion of confusion into gain energy, you will get a potion of enlightenment (1/3 chance) or booze (2/3 chance).
- Magical energies course through your body.
- You drank a noncursed potion of gain energy.
- You feel lackluster.
- You drank a cursed potion of gain energy.
NetHack 3.4.3 used a different formula for this potion. Variants based on that may use the old formula if not explicitly altered.
- A blessed potion will increase current and maximum energy by from 7 to 11. ("Magical energies course through your body.")
- An uncursed will have the same results with a range of 2 to 6. ("Magical energies course through your body.")
- A cursed potion will decrease your current and maximum power 2 to 6 points. ("You feel lackluster.")
SLASH'EM changes the potion effects. Your current energy is increased (decreased if cursed) by 9 + 1d25, plus an additional 5 points if the potion is blessed. Your maximum energy is increased (decreased if cursed) by 1d2, plus an additional 2 points if the potion is blessed. If this would put your current energy above your maximum energy, your maximum energy is increased by half the difference between your current energy and your maximum energy, and your current energy is set to this new maximum.
The potion can therefore restore more power than the vanilla equivalent, but for the best permanent increase to maximum power it should be drunk while your power is already at max.