A shapeshifter in any of these forms can be tamed with the appropriate food, remaining tame even as it changes forms.
Pacifying and taming
Throwing any kind of food — except an egg or cream pie that hits — at a domestic animal will make it peaceful and remove any fear effects, even if it is not something that the animal would normally eat. For example, a dog could be made peaceful by throwing a carrot or a lichen corpse, and a horse could be made peaceful by throwing a food ration or a gnome corpse. Even an empty tin will do.
If the food is considered a treat, a suitable corpse, or any other acceptable food, the animal will become tame and will eat the food. An untame domestic animal, in evaluating thrown food, is effectively hungry but not starving.
Food sufficient for taming a domestic carnivore (any cat or dog):
- tripe ration
- meat ring/stick/ball/chunk
- any safe non-vegan corpse (unsafe corpses include anything acidic, poisonous, tainted, petrifying, or otherwise deadly)
- egg (excluding deadly chickatrice eggs)—but only if you miss!
- lembas wafer
- candy bar
- lump of royal jelly
- fortune cookie—it will go unread
- cream pie—but only if you miss!
Food sufficient for taming a domestic herbivore (any horse):
- any fruit—apple, banana, orange, pear, melon, or slime mold
- any vegetable—carrot, clove of garlic, kelp frond, eucalyptus leaf, or sprig of wolfsbane
- any safe vegan corpse (unsafe corpses include anything acidic, poisonous, or tainted)
Once the animal is tamed and has become your pet, to promote its continued tameness, health, and good behavior, take care to feed it according to its diet. This is especially important for horses, for whom suitable food can be difficult to obtain.
- c chicken
- c cockatoo
- c parrot
- d pit bull
- q lamb
- q sheep
- q goat
- q cow
- q bull
- z koala (only tameable with eucalyptus leaves
- z wombat
Also, some animals in SLASH'EM can be tamed or pacified with specific foods; throwing other kinds of comestibles at them has no pacifying effect.
Tameable with cheese:
Tameable with carrots:
- monst.c, line 93: Domestic monsters have the M2_DOMESTIC flag, which should not be confused with HI_DOMESTIC, which simply makes monsters white.
- dothrow.c, line 1383
- mondata.h, line 190
- dog.c, line 756: "worst case, at least it'll be peaceful"
- dogfood in dog.c
- dog.c, line 808
- dogfood in dog.c
- monst.c in SLASH'EM 0.0.7E7F2, line 106
- dog.c in SLASH'EM 0.0.7E7F2, line 734: "Koalas can only eat eucalyptus"
- mondata.h in SLASH'EM 0.0.7E7F2, line 239: "[Tom] Dorothy wants more pets..."