NetHackWiki:Did you know?
This page is an attempt to collect interesting NetHack factoids for possible inclusion on the Main Page, loosely modeled on Wikipedia's "Did you know" setup. The idea is to make the main page more interesting and to attract casual visitors to look deeper. In the process, we might even be able to teach each other some interesting bits of NetHack trivia.
If this page looks a bit unfinished, it's because it is. Right now, we first need to collect enough interesting "hooks" to have something to put on the Main Page.
- Favor new articles and edits. On Wikipedia, the DYK sections consists solely of these, but I figure we have plenty of interesting things in our existing articles that we can use to bootstrap the process.
- Each entry should be in the form of a "hook" consisting of a single question (beginning with "Did you know", which is replaced by ellipsis). Include at least one link to a wiki article in each hook. The linked articles don't have to be particularly good; this isn't featured articles.
- Hooks should be selected and phrased to arouse curiosity in readers. Avoid blatant spoilers in the hook. It's better to be a little bit oblique and invite interested readers to look in the article instead. Try not to be too cryptic, though: readers who already know what the hook is about should be able to recognize it.
Sources of ideas
A user has suggested improving this page or section as follows:
"Please expand this list."
Did you know...
- ...that a wand of undead turning is not only useful against the undead?
- ...that there are dozens of different ways to get killed by a cockatrice?
- ...that there are several ways to make a troll stay dead?
- ...that talking to vampires can be surprisingly interesting?
- ...that deep dragon scale mail can protect you from level drain in SLASH'EM?
- ...that the Bell of Opening can be used to open drawbridges?
- ...that if you die at turn 1, you may not pass go or collect 200 zorkmids?
- ...that rec.games.roguelike.nethack is an excellent place to discuss NetHack?
- ...that lizards first appeared in NetHack 3.0.6, but their corpses were in the game long before that?
- ...that a meat stick is tasty, but not very useful?
- ...that a cursed two-handed weapon can be major trouble?
- ...that pressing esc when prompted for a wish is probably not a good idea?
- ...that artifact weapons in SLASH'EM include the Bat from Hell, the Stake of Van Helsing and the Great Dagger of Glaurgnaa?
- ...that a runed broadsword is only rarely a runesword?
- ...it can be a good idea to bribe a soldier at the castle if you are using polearms?
- ...that a metallivore can turn metal items to rocks?
- ...a ki-rin steed will let you dress it up?
- ...how to protect a pet mind flayer from suiciding?
- ...that throwing food at domestic animals will always pacify them?
- ...that cheese and eggs are considered vegetarian foods?
- ...that vandalizing an altar can be quite unlucky?
- ...that your pet has an aversion to cursed items?
- ...that quaffing from a fountain is not always a good idea?
- ...that gluttony can be deadly under many circumstances?
- ...that smoky and milky potions may contain something other than liquids?
- ...that dipping a potion into another potion may cause bizarre results?
- ...that priests can sell you something?
- ...what are the fastest ways to open a tin?
- ...what effect does the loathed and mysterious of NetHack have?