|" Amulets||[ Armor|
|% Comestibles||$ Coins|
|* Gems||! Potions|
|= Rings||? Scrolls|
|+ Spellbooks||` Statues|
|( Tools||` Boulders|
|) Weapons||/ Wands|
To wear accessories such as rings or amulets, use P to put on the item. If you have a pair of hands, you may wear one ring on each. Whether a ring is worn on the left or the right, the effect is the same, although a cursed wielded weapon may prevent access to the right finger, and incubi will place a ring of adornment on a female's left hand. Use R to remove the ring.
All rings have a weight of 3, except for the meat ring, which has a weight of 1.
All rings, except for the meat ring and for chargeable rings at +0 charge, cause an additional nutrition point to be deducted once every 20 turns. This is cumulative—a player wearing two rings will lose 2 additional hunger points every 20 turns. This sense of "ring hunger" is distinct from the additional hunger-causing effects of rings of regeneration, conflict, and hunger, all of which cause a nutrition point to be lost every other turn. The ring of slow digestion prevents ordinary nutrition consumption, but still causes ring hunger (if it didn't, it would be a ring of no digestion.)
The following information pertains to an upcoming version (NetHack 3.7). If this version is now released, please verify that it is still accurate, then update the page to incorporate this information.A +0 ring of protection now causes ring hunger if it is your only source of extrinsic protection. If you are wearing two rings of protection and the one on your left hand is +0, ring hunger applies to it, even if the right ring is charged.
Table of rings
Instead of giving an attribute, chargeable rings modify a stat by n, where n is the ring's charge, which can be positive or negative.
Of the rings marked as 90% cursed above, the remaining 10% are uncursed. The BUC status of chargeable rings is determined by the following table:
|≥ +1||+0||≤ −1||Total|
The enchantment of a chargeable ring (adornment, gain constitution, gain strength, increase accuracy, increase damage, or protection) may be altered by charging, for example with a scroll of charging or the PYEC. In contrast to most chargeable items, whose charge dwindles with use, a ring retains its enchantment permanently much like weapons and armor.
When a ring with a positive enchantment is charged, it has an (enchantment before) in 7 chance of exploding. Rings with enchantments of ≤ −5 or ≥ +7 will always explode when charged. Otherwise, blessed charging adds 1 to 3 points of enchantment, cursed charging removes 1 to 2 points, and uncursed charging always adds 1. Therefore, the highest possible enchantment is +9 by charging (and +10 by random generation). You may repeatedly enchant and disenchant a ring.
Below is the odds of using blessed scrolls of charging to achieve the enchantment on the top row starting from the enchantment listed in the left column without the ring exploding.
|≥ +1||≥ +2||≥ +3||≥ +4||≥ +5||≥ +6||≥ +7||≥ +8||+9|
Identifying rings using sinks
When a ring is dropped on top of a sink, you will get a message that can help you identify the ring. Since the ring is usually lost in the process, this is not a very popular option.
Dropping a noncursed ring down a sink is not a good use of it, but if you have two, you may as well use up one to identify the other. Rings are only very occasionally destroyed by an electrical attack, so spares are not essential. Also if you are on the brink of starvation and have several unidentified rings, you may consider giving up all of them to a sink, as ring of slow digestion is not lost when dropped down the drain.
Eating rings is a way to permanently obtain the effects granted by wearing some rings, however, this is only possible for rings of metal or wood.
Topaz, sapphire, ruby, steel, diamond, and emerald rings can be used to make slow but semi-permanent engravings. Since this is dependent on the appearance rather than the function of the ring, it can be used even if the ring isn't identified.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
- zap.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 4606: destroy_item
This page is based on a spoiler by Dylan O'Donnell. The original license is:
Redistribution, copying, and editing of these spoilers, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- The original contributors to any spoiler must continue to be credited.
- Any modifications to the spoiler must be acknowledged and credited.