|" Amulets||[ Armor|
|% Comestibles||$ Coins|
|* Gems||! Potions|
|= Rings||? Scrolls|
|+ Spellbooks||` Statues|
|( Tools||` Boulders|
|) Weapons||/ Wands|
Of the rings marked as 90% cursed below, the remaining 10% are uncursed. The BUC status of chargeable rings is determined by the following table:
|≥ +1||+0||≤ −1||Total|
Rings are worn by using P to put them on, and removed using R; one ring can be worn on each hand. While there is no difference between the left or the right in terms of the ring's effects, a cursed wielded weapon may prevent access to the right finger, and incubi will always place a ring of adornment on a woman's left hand.
All rings have a weight of 3, except for the meat ring (which has a weight of 1). All rings except for the ring of shock resistance have a 1-in-3 chance of exploding when subjected to shock damage.
Furthermore, with the exception of the meat ring and chargeable rings at +0 charge, worn rings cause an additional nutrition point to be deducted once every 20 turns. This is cumulative—a player wearing two rings will lose 2 additional hunger points every 20 turns. This sense of "ring hunger" is distinct from the additional hunger-causing effects of rings of regeneration, conflict, and hunger, all of which cause a nutrition point to be lost every other turn. The ring of slow digestion prevents ordinary nutrition consumption, but still causes ring hunger.
The following information pertains to an upcoming version (NetHack 3.7.0). If this version is now released, please verify that it is still accurate, then update the page to incorporate this information.A +0 ring of protection now causes ring hunger if it is your only source of extrinsic protection. If you are wearing two rings of protection and the one on your left hand is +0, ring hunger applies to it, even if the right ring is charged.
Table of rings
Chargeable rings modify one of your attributes by n, where n is the value of the ring's charge, which can be positive or negative. The enchantment of a chargeable ring (i.e., adornment, gain constitution, gain strength, increase accuracy, increase damage, or protection - may be altered by charging, for example with a scroll of charging or the PYEC.
In contrast to most chargeable items, a ring retains its enchantment much like weapons and armor. Blessed charging adds 1 to 3 points of enchantment; cursed charging removes 1 to 2 points; and uncursed charging always adds 1. When a ring with a positive enchantment is charged, it has an x⁄7 chance of exploding (where x is the enchantment prior to charging); rings with enchantments of ≤ −5 or ≥ +7 will always explode when charged. Therefore, the highest possible enchantment is +9 by charging (and +10 by random generation).
Below are the odds of using blessed scrolls of charging to achieve the enchantment on the top row starting from the enchantment listed in the left column without the ring exploding.
|≥ +1||≥ +2||≥ +3||≥ +4||≥ +5||≥ +6||≥ +7||≥ +8||+9|
Rings have various applications beyond simply wearing them. For example, topaz, sapphire, ruby, steel, diamond, and emerald rings can be used to make slow but semi-permanent engravings. Since this is dependent on the appearance rather than the function of the ring, it can be done even if the ring isn't identified.
Eating rings is a way to permanently obtain the effects granted by wearing some rings - however, this is only possible for rings of metal or wood. See that article for more information.
When a ring is dropped on top of a sink, you will get a message that can help you identify the ring. Since the ring is usually lost in the process, this is best done with rings that you have multiples of. If you are on the brink of starvation and have several unidentified rings, you may consider giving up all of them to a sink - the ring of slow digestion is not lost when dropped down the drain.
In FIQHack monsters can wear rings. Also, you can retrieve rings from sinks by destroying the sink and digging a pit beneath it.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
- zap.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 4606: destroy_item
This page is based on a spoiler by Dylan O'Donnell. The original license is:
Redistribution, copying, and editing of these spoilers, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- The original contributors to any spoiler must continue to be credited.
- Any modifications to the spoiler must be acknowledged and credited.