Cloak of displacement

From NetHackWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[ Tattered cape.png[ Opera cloak.png[ Ornamental cope.png[ Piece of cloth.png
cloak of displacement
Appearance random
Slot cloak
AC 1
Special
Base price 50 zm
Weight 10
Material cloth

The cloak of displacement is a cloak that appears in NetHack. It is made of cloth, and has a randomized appearance; the default one associated with it is a piece of cloth.[1]

Generation

All non-elven Rangers start the game with a +2 cloak of displacement; elven Rangers instead start with a +2 elven cloak.[2][3][4]

Most non-monk player monsters on the Astral Plane have a 87.5% chance of receiving a random magical cloak in their starting inventory, and a further 12.5% chance of that cloak being a cloak of displacement - effectively a ~10.94% chance.[5][6] For priests, there is a 75% chance the cloak will be made into a robe instead, reducing this effective chance to ~2.73%;[7] Wizards have a 12 chance of forcing a cloak of magic resistance, resulting in a ~5.47% chance of one generating with a cloak of displacement.[8]

Description

When worn, the cloak of displacement provides MC1 and displacement; putting on or taking off the cloak will auto-identify it if you can see yourself or are able to sense monsters, and you are not currently engulfed. The displacement will not affect hostile monsters if you are invisible and they cannot see invisible.

Strategy

The cloak of displacement is the only source of the property in the game, and is a solid defensive item for misdirecting attacks from hostile monsters. In the early game, it is an especially solid tool for escaping fights, though it is somewhat outclassed by invisibility, which inflicts an additional -2 to-hit penalty and similarly causes monsters to attack squares where they think you are. In the long term, however, fewer monsters are immune to being fooled by displacement compared to the many later threats that can see invisible.

Players using a lance or any polearm as their main weapon may especially benefit from monsters wasting turns striking at their image while remaining within pounding range.

The following information pertains to an upcoming version (3.7.0). If this version is now released, please verify that it is still accurate, then update the page to incorporate this information.

The displacer beast is now an alternative source of displacement - the beast (and thus its polyform) has the property intrinsically, and eating its corpse grants temporary displacement.

History

The cloak of displacement is introduced in NetHack 3.0.0. From 3.0.0 to NetHack 3.4.3, including many variants based on those versions, the cloak of displacement grants MC2 when worn; the messages associated with wearing or removing one are not added until NetHack 3.6.0 and may not be present in a given variant of 3.4.3, though the cloak still auto-identifies when worn.

Origin

The cloak of displacement is an item that originates from Dungeons & Dragons. It is a black leather cloak fashioned out of the hide of a displacer beast - the displacing effect comes from strands of sinew from the beasts' tentacles interwoven with the fabric that distorts and warps light that hit its surface. This causes the wearer to appear as if they were a slightly different location up to 6 in (0.15 m) away, offering protection from attacks - thos only works while the wearer is attuned and conscious, and being hit caused the cloak to lose its illusory abilities for a few seconds.

Messages

You feel that monsters have difficulty pinpointing your location.
You put on a cloak of displacement. The cloak is identified.
You feel that monsters no longer have difficulty pinpointing your location.
You removed a cloak of displacement. The cloak is identified.
<Foo> strikes at your <invisible> displaced image and misses you!
A monster attacked a spot where they believed you to be as a result of displacement; "invisible" is appended if you are invisible and the monster can see invisible.
<Foo> smiles <engagingly/seductively> at your <invisible> displaced image...
As above, but you were targeted with a seduction attack.
The invisible <foo> whispers at thin air.
A demon lord or prince attempted to demand a bribe from you, but was fooled by your displaced image - this will immediately turn them hostile.

Variants

Some variants make it possible for monsters to gain displacement from wearing this cloak; shimmering dragons and their scales (and scale mail) may also provide an additional source of displacement for players.

SLASH'EM

In SLASH'EM, the cloak of displacement grants MC2. A cloak of displacement can be created by upgrading an elven cloak or oilskin cloak. Deluder is an artifact cloak of displacement that also doubles as a luck item and confers stealth, and is the guaranteed second sacrifice gift for Wizards.

GruntHack

GruntHack implements proper displacement for monsters, making it possible for them to obtain the property by wearing the cloak.

UnNetHack

In UnNetHack, Sokoban offers a cloak as one of the three types of prizes, which has a 50% chance of being a cloak of displacement.

dNetHack

In dNetHack, The Mantle of Heaven and The Vestment of Hell are artifact cloaks that always appear as ornamental copes, making it possible for them to be cloaks of displacement.

FIQHack

In FIQHack, the cloak of displacement gives MC3 and monsters can gain displacement from wearing it; monster displacement functions somewhat similar to GruntHack, though with various differences (e.g., the displaced images of monsters detected via telepathy or monster detection do not appear).

EvilHack

In EvilHack, monsters can gain displacement by wearing this cloak.

References