Scroll of food detection
|Base price||100 zm|
|Ink to write||4-7|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
The scroll of food detection reveals the location of all comestibles on the level.
This scroll detects and reveals the location of all comestibles on the level, including those on the ground and those in monster inventories. If blessed, you acquire the food appraisal intrinsic in addition. If the scroll is cursed, or you are confused regardless of the BUC-status of the scroll, you will detect potions instead.
Replace <nose> in the messages with the appropriate equivalent based on your current form.
- Your <nose> starts to tingle.
- You cast the spell at skilled or expert level and gained the food appraisal intrinsic. This is printed following any of the other messages when casting the spell at skilled level or higher, with exceptions noted below.
- Your <nose> starts to tingle and you smell food.
- You cast the spell at skilled or expert level, there are comestibles on the level, and you gain the food appraisal intrinsic.
- Your <nose> continues to tingle and you smell food.
- As above, but you already have the food appraisal intrinsic.
- Your <nose> twitches then starts to tingle.
- You cast the spell at skilled level or higher, but there were no comestibles on the level, and you gain the food appraisal intrinsic.
- Your <nose> twitches.
- You cast the spell at any level, and there were no comestibles on the level; additionally, you cast the spell at skilled level or higher, and already have the food appraisal intrinsic.
- You smell food nearby.
- You cast the spell, and the only comestibles on the level are on your square.
- You sense a lack of food nearby.
- You cast the spell after previously detecting comestibles on the level, but they are gone now. The additional message for gaining the food appraisal intrinsic at skilled level or higher is not included.
- You have a strange feeling for a moment, then it passes.
- You cast the spell as a beginner, and there are no comestibles on the level.
- You have a normal feeling for a moment, then it passes.
- As above while hallucinating.
If there are comestibles on the level (if blessed or uncursed) or potions (if confused and/or cursed) then this scroll will auto identify. Otherwise you will get a message below as to the nature of the scroll and you will be able to indirectly identify it - it will not be automatically identified. Players who the game classifies as a beginner will get ambiguous messages in this case.
The obvious use is if you are short on food you can read an uncursed or blessed version of the scroll to find food on the level. Beware, this will display all comestibles including tainted and poisoned corpses and corpses that can cause petrification or other harmful effects.
The food appraisal intrinsic is useful to prevent issues from food including food poisoning, petrification and breaking conducts, however it will only warn you once before the intrinsic is lost and will need to be reapplied.
The potion detecting capability of cursed and/or confused readings of the scroll can be used to find useful potions in monster inventories, such as a potion of gain level or smoky potions so that monster could be liberated of the potion quickly before the monster uses it. However this functionality is duplicated by other means.
This page is based on a spoiler by Dylan O'Donnell. The original license is:
Redistribution, copying, and editing of these spoilers, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- The original contributors to any spoiler must continue to be credited.
- Any modifications to the spoiler must be acknowledged and credited.