|Base price||10 zm|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
A mirror, known as a looking glass when unidentified, is a type of tool with many uses. Probably the most common is to apply it to a monster to scare it; this only works if they can see it (i.e. are not blind, have eyes, you and the monster are not invisible (unless the monster can see invisible), etc.). There is an 80% chance of the foe fleeing for 2d4 turns, if none of the special cases below occured. Humanoid foes (and unicorns) are not fooled by a mirror and won't be frightened. A cursed mirror only works half the time, the rest of the time it will "fog up" instead.
Nymphs are often generated with mirrors (50% chance). Breaking a mirror gives a -2 penalty to Luck; therefore, it is a bad idea to attack nymphs with spells of force bolt or wands of striking. Applying a mirror to a nymph will cause her to steal the mirror and teleport away, which can prevent her from stealing something more useful (or dangerous). Although a foocubus (a succubus in 3.4.3) does not steal your items, applying a mirror to her will also cause her to steal it and teleport like a nymph.
The Luck penalty for breaking a mirror can be used to intentionally lower your Luck to prevent getting crowned while praying.
- The <monster> is frightened by its reflection.
- You applied the mirror at a monster and frightened it.
- The <monster> ignores his/her/its reflection.
- You applied the mirror at a monster that cannot be frightened by it, or you failed to frighten it.
- The <monster> admires herself in the mirror. She takes it!
- You applied the mirror at a nymph or succubus.
- The <monster> is too tired to look at your mirror.
- The monster is asleep.
- You reflect the ceiling.
- You applied the mirror up.
- You reflect the floor.
- You applied the mirror down.
- You reflect the murky water.
- You applied the mirror under water, while not hallucinating.
- You give the fish a chance to fix their makeup.
- You applied the mirror under water while hallucinating.
- You reflect <monster>'s <stomach/interior>.
- You applied the mirror at a monster who is engulfing you.
- The <monster> can't see anything right now.
- The monster is blinded.
Applying a mirror at yourself will often produce yet another funny message, particularly if you are polymorphed. If more than one of the conditions apply, the message corresponding to the one that is highest on the list will be displayed.
- If you have charisma below 15 and are invisible (but can't see invisible) and/or blind : You can't see your ugly face.
- If you have charisma above 14, are invisible (but can't see invisible) and/or blind : You can't see your handsome/beautiful face.
- If you are a floating eye without free action: Yikes! You've frozen yourself! (you become paralyzed)
- If you are a vampire: You don't have a reflection.
- If you are an umber hulk: Huh? That doesn't look like you! (you become confused)
- If you are hallucinating: You look <color>. <color> is replaced with either ultraviolet, infrared, bluish-orange, reddish-green, dark white, light black, sky blue-pink, salty, sweet, sour, bitter, striped, spiral, swirly, plaid, checkered, argyle, paisley, blotchy, guernsey-spotted, polka-dotted, square, round, triangular, cabernet, sangria, fuchsia, wisteria, lemon-lime, strawberry-banana, peppermint, romantic, or incandescent.
- If you are sick: You look peaked.
- If you are weak (or worse) from hunger: You look undernourished.
- If you have charisma below 15: You look as ugly as ever.
- If you have charisma above 14: You look as handsome/beautiful as ever.
The Magic Mirror of Merlin is the only artifact mirror in the game. It cannot be broken like a normal mirror, as all artifacts are immune to breakage. It can, however, be stolen by a nymph or succubus if applied at them, so doing so is a bad idea.
But as Snow White grew, she became more and more beautiful,
and by the time she was seven years old she was as beautiful
as the day and more beautiful than the queen herself. One
day when the queen said to her mirror:
"Mirror, Mirror, here I stand.
Who is the fairest in the land?" -
the mirror replied:
"You, O Queen, are the fairest here,
But Snow White is a thousand times more fair."