Potion of acid
|Base price||250 zm|
|Monster use||May be used offensively by monsters.|
If #dipped in water, acid will boil and cause you 1-10 points of damage (except in containers). Walking into water with potions of acid in your inventory can make them explode, even inside a sack or bag of holding, but they will never dilute or deal damage. The only ways to obtain diluted acid presumably are wishing, or random alchemy results.
If you quaff a potion of acid when you are turning to stone, you will be cured of your stoning. You will abuse your constitution and take 1d4 points of damage if blessed, 1d8 points of damage if uncursed, and 2d8 points of damage if cursed.
If a monster throws a potion and hits another monster with it, or you throw an unidentified potion at a monster, and the monster "shrieks in pain" or "writhes in pain", the potion is a potion of acid. Holy water can give the same message, but monsters do not use it. You will be prompted to type-name the potion unless it already was named.
- C343-179: If a monster carrying acid is crushed with a drawbridge, the game may panic. Same result if you or another monsters blows up the drawbridge underneath it.
- C343-394: Throwing a potion of acid into water (pools, moat, swamp) or at iron bars will reliably crash the game.
- This burns a lot!
- A monster threw at you, or you quaffed a cursed potion of acid.
- This burns like acid!
- You quaffed an uncursed potion of acid, and you are not acid resistant.
- This tastes sour.
- You quaffed any potion of acid, while acid resistant.
- This burns!
- You quaffed or were hit by a uncursed potion of acid, and you are not acid resistant.
- This burns a little!
- You quaffed or were hit by a blessed potion of acid, and you are not acid resistant.
If the potion was thrown at you or you drank the potion you will be prompted to name it.
In UnNetHack, potions of acid dissolve iron bars when they hit them. To do this, wield a potion of acid and use the fight (F) command. If done with more than one potion of acid wielded, only one of them is destroyed.
Dipping a lichen into a potion of acid will identify it.
Valuable gems can be dipped into potion of acid to make new potions. See Gem Alchemy.