The Discoveries page, accessed by pressing the backslash key (\), shows all the items you have identified so far, including those class-#named. It can be useful for checking facts about items that are sometimes not immediately apparent, or are hidden by the game through description and identification.
Examples include details of randomized appearance (of potions - useful to determine which potion is smoky - spellbooks, scrolls and base armor and weapon items), or what base item type an artifact is. This can be used to pseudo-identify further objects through the process of elimination.
You have 100% chance of success to write scrolls and books listed in your discoveries list. Your god uses a different list for gifted spellbooks: preferably those not already in your spellcasting menu (Z).
Some items are automatically identified by the game without any message once certain conditions are met. Items that you know of automatically, but have yet to encounter, are listed on the Discoveries page by a leading * before the description.
- Starting equipment: All characters start with full knowledge of all their starting equipment.
- If you start with an oil lamp, you know the potion of oil.
- Racial armor and weapons: All non-human characters start with full knowledge of their racial armor and weapons.
- Mundane weapons and armor: Some roles know them all. Monks know armor but not weapons.
- Water: Potion of unholy water, potion of water, potion of holy water— if you know one, you know the others. They are really the same type of potion.
- Healers start off knowing the potion of full healing, even though they do not start with one. In SLASH'EM they also start off knowing a variety of beneficial potions, such as potions of restore ability.