The following information pertains to an upcoming version (3.7.0). If this version is now released, please verify that it is still accurate, then update the page to incorporate this information.
The elf-lord has been renamed to the elf-noble; male elf-nobles are elf-lords, while female elf-nobles are called elf-ladies.As part of resolving issue #679 regarding congruence between non-player monsters and their player counterparts, commit b6a3d4b makes it so that elf-nobles and other strong elven polyforms are capped at 18 strength as player elves are.
Elf-lords can generate in small groups, and randomly-generated elf-lords are peaceful towards chaotic elven players and occasionally peaceful towards chaotic humans. Woodland-elves, Green-elves, and Grey-elves can grow up into elf-lords, and elf-lords can grow up into Elvenkings.
- They have a 1⁄2 chance of generating with either an elven mithril-coat or an elven cloak, and a 1⁄2 chance of generating with an elven leather helm; if they do not generate with the helm, they have a 1⁄4 chance of generating with elven boots.
- They have a 1⁄2 chance of generating with an elven dagger.
- They will also generate with one of the following sets of items, with an equal chance of each set:
Groups of elf-lords can be quite dangerous to a mid-game character: Elf-lords that have a bow and arrows can pepper you with them repeatedly from a distance with their two weapon attacks, and their status as a lord to their kind allows them to multishot the arrows, which can easily rack up significant damage. Furthermore, they may generate with potions of gain level that they can use to become stronger Elvenkings.
As a monster that can be generated via summon nasties, they are not as dangerous as an Elvenking, but their ability to ignore Elbereth like most elves makes them more difficult to drive off than other monsters.
The elf-lord first appears in NetHack 3.0.0.
Some variants adjust monster names so that female counterparts to the elf-lord are properly named and generated.
- The River Ford level has a 3⁄4 chance of generating an elf-lord and a separate 3⁄4 chance of generating an elf-lady in the forest on the west side.
- At the west edge of the Elven Forest level, an elf-lord and an elf-lady are among the group of elves generated opposite a horde of Mordor orcs and other monsters led by a Nazgul.
Elf-nobles may appear among the court of an elven monarch-ruled throne room.
In SpliceHack, the monster is renamed to the elven noble, with male monarchs called "elven lords" and female monarchs called "elven ladies".
In EvilHack, the monster is renamed to the elven noble as in SpliceHack.
As in UnNetHack, a hostile elven noble will generate within the fort's main hall in the third variant of Fort Ludios.
- src/makemon.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 222: Default equipment for elves