Madman (dNetHack role)
Madmen may be any race except for Chiropteran. They may be any alignment to start.
- cursed straitjacket
- uncursed blindfold (this can be put on and remove via apply even while stuck in the jacket, and madmen begin with intrinsic telepathy).
- 2 uncursed potions of booze
The cursed straitjacket prevents the use of the hands, with the same basic effects as a cursed two-handed weapon. Worse, the jacket prevents melee attacks with the hands. The Madman will kick as their default attack.
Further, Madmen have a summon-able secret whisperer instead of a normal pet.
- The mind blast can be used to thin crowds of enemies from across the map, but this is not reliable. The blasts are very reliable vs. mind flayers, and pretty reliable vs. other psychic monsters.
- The secret whisperer initially has no attacks and is quite fragile. Its primary purpose is to buff the Madman ("whispers dire secrets, filling you with zeal"), increasing their to-hit and damage. Enemies will also still attack the whisperer in preference to the PC, so it can be used to absorb a blow or two. It's typically important to summon the whisperer before a battle begins, since it costs a turn and needs to be out for a round before buffing you. The whisperer gains one level per point of insight you gain.
Madmen gain intrinsics at these experience levels:
Madmen start with no skills learned.
Madmen use charisma as their spellcasting stat.
- Lawful: Lobon
- Neutral: Tamash
- Chaotic: Zo-Kalar
The Madman pantheon is made up of deities worshiped by the inhabitants of Sarnath in the H.P. Lovecraft story "The Doom That Came to Sarnath."
The status line shows you to be one of the following ranks when you reach the specified experience level:
- XL 1-2: Ward
- XL 3-5: Escapee
- XL 6-9: Drifter
- XL 10-13: Derelict
- XL 14-17: Raver
- XL 18-21: Lunatic
- XL 22-25: Maniac
- XL 26-29: Augur
- XL 30: Seer
- The jacket prevents the use of the hands (even in combat), so the Madman must get free from the jacket before being able to improve their offensive or defensive abilities. See the straitjacket article for suggestions on how to get free.
- The jacket forces Madmen to kick down doors in order to pass through them. Use the starting blindfold to make sure you aren't about to kick down a shop door!
- Your god's anger and your negative alignment record prevents prayer.
- It will be at least 800 turns before you can increase your alignment record to 1.
- If you can fix the anger, you will be able to pray for aid once your alignment record is positive.