Cold resistance is fairly easy to obtain through eating corpses. White dragons provide cold resistance, as do most "cold" monsters, like blue jellies and winter wolves. The Valkyrie starts out with intrinsic cold resistance, being from the frigid Northlands. Monks get cold resistance at XL 13. Any character may gain resistance by crowning. Wearing white dragon scale mail or a ring of cold resistance also provides you with cold resistance, and so does wielding Frost Brand.
Intrinsic cold resistance can be obtained from eating the following corpses and globs:
|Chromatic Dragon||meaty||23||17%||poisonous, Caveman quest nemesis|
|winter wolf cub||meaty||7||33%|
The following messages are associated with cold resistance:
- "You feel full of hot air."
- You gained intrinsic cold resistance by eating a corpse or tin.
- "You feel warm!"
- You gained intrinsic cold resistance by gaining a level.
- "You feel cooler!"
- You lost intrinsic cold resistance (level drain, gremlin attack).
- "You feel mildly chilly."
- You were frozen, but suffered no damage due to cold resistance.