The gelatinous cube, b, is an amoeboid monster in NetHack. Unlike the Dungeons & Dragons creature from which it is derived, it has no means to engulf the player; however it still possesses the means to paralyze the unwary. The gelatinous cube possesses two different kinds of attacks that may paralyze the player. The paralyzing touch is a melee attack that can be protected against with high magic cancellation. It also has a paralyzing passive attack which can be prevented by wearing a ring of free action or not engaging in melee combat.
Their corpses are acidic, but may also provide fire, cold, shock, or sleep resistance. Like all blobs, gelatinous cube corpses are considered vegan and can safely be eaten.
Gelatinous cubes are noteworthy in that as they move they will eat organic items they pass over and engulf most other items (exceptions being boulders or a punished player's iron ball and chain) which are then placed into the cube's inventory. They are thus useful for cleaning useless items out of a level, and the bane of stashes.
While gelatinous cubes can eat scrolls, scrolls labeled "YUM YUM" are no more delicious than any other scrolls, and no special message is printed in this case.
- You hear a slurping sound.
- You hear several slurping sounds.
- A gelatinous cube has eaten (more than) one thing somewhere out of sight on this level.
- The gelatinous cube engulfs <foo>.
- The gelatinous cube engulfs several objects.
- A gelatinous cube has engulfed - that is, picked up - (more than) one thing.