NetHack 3.6.0 is readily available from the official NetHack website. Binaries are provided for MS Windows (version 7 or later) and Mac OS X (version 10.7 "Lion" or later), and the source code is available, so people can port NetHack 3.6.0 to other platforms, something the DevTeam encourages in the release notes. Ray Chason has managed to get the DJGPP DOS port working; it is available on github.
NetHack 3.6.0 is described by the DevTeam as consisting of "a series of foundational changes in the team, underlying infrastructure and changes to the approach to game development". It focuses on these internal changes more than on the addition of new content, but there are still some features introduced in this version, including many small changes throughout the game.
Notable changes in NetHack 3.6.0 include:
- Elbereth was weakened in several ways:
- Magic cancellation is harder to get (e.g. cloak of MR: MC3→MC1) and also a little less effective (e.g. MC3: 98%→90% protection). To mitigate this a little a ring of protection raises MC by 1. Still, together with the weaker Elbereth, killer bees have become a lot more deadly.
- The javelin skill was merged with spear.
- Statues are now rendered in white with the same symbol as the monster they are representing, instead of `.
- More randomized appearances of scrolls.
- Lower chances of writing unknown scrolls as a wizard. Type-naming no longer makes it safe.
- Kicking a pile of gold now sends gold pieces flying in every direction.
- Pets now pick up only a single piece of gold, making credit cloning impossible without a container.
- Correctly rounded shop price calculation makes price IDing slightly harder.
- Farming was nerfed in various ways: puddings no longer leave corpses or death drops, kraken cannot be revived on land, horns from reviving unicorns are worthless for polypiling.
- Alchemizing potions will only convert 2 to 9 potions at a time instead of the entire stack.
- Being crowned gives the player an extra skill slot.
- Iron bars now sometimes betray closets.
- New shop type: health food, stocking only vegetarian food, and (full) healing potions instead of booze.
- Sokoban puzzles no longer track cheating after they are fully solved. Prize no longer depends on 4th level's layout.
- Some Minetown level changes. Most importantly one variant has been overrun by orcs, which means no shops, no priest and hardly any worthwhile loot. At least the unaligned altar can always be easily converted, without a priest defending it.
- One Mines' End layout has been slightly randomized.
- The Big Room introduces many more variants plus some randomized floor types, with even a chance of a lava maze with a minotaur!
- Some Quest levels changed e.g. a swamp was added to the Tower of Darkness.
- Two new Medusa levels. As a side effect this means only 1/4 chance of a titan instead of 1/2.
- The layout of the Valley of the Dead may vary now.
- Gehennom-type mazes may now consist of corridors instead of walls.
- Due to a bug the Wizard can wake up prematurely if a hostile spellcaster casts aggravate monster. It's highly advisable not to linger on his level until you're ready for him.
- The vibrating square is treated as a trap and can be found quickly by the usual means.
- Covetous monsters will no longer kill the Temple Priest, so they cannot be used to skip Moloch's Sanctum.
- The Amulet of Yendor may be offered to Moloch (killing you).
- Random 1-square holes, which may even host the portal, were added to the Plane of Earth.
- The dangerous clouds on the Plane of Air now cover most of the level and move constantly.
- The lava on the Plane of Fire produces poison clouds similar to those from the scroll.
- You can't levitate on the Plane of Water, forcing you to stay inside the air bubbles or swim e.g. with an amulet of magical breathing.
- The Astral Plane has a 75% chance of being an enlarged version with even more Angels and other monsters.
- The #adjust command can be used to split an inventory stack.
- The new #tip command allows accessing your bag when wielding a cursed two-handed weapon.
- The #terrain, #annotate and #overview commands were introduced.
- Menucolors, MSGTYPE and HPmon are now incorporated in vanilla. Also experimental (and buggy) support for Statuscolors, replacing HPmon if compiled in.
- Reading previous messages now keeps working after saving and restoring the game.
- Many small improvements to the user interface, e.g. when accessing containers, type-naming objects or showing prices in shops. Showing the attributes with Ctrl + x is more verbose.
- Slightly changed wording of some messages e.g. "You swap places with your warhorse." instead of "You displaced your warhorse."
- Several dozen bug fixes, including crashes related to dropping loadstones and splitting long worms.
The player may choose from these roles and races:
|Archeologist||human, dwarf, gnome||Lawful, Neutral|
|Barbarian||human, orc||Neutral, Chaotic|
|Cave(wo)man||human, dwarf, gnome||Lawful, Neutral|
|Ranger||human, elf, gnome, orc||Neutral, Chaotic|
|Valkyrie||human, dwarf||Lawful, Neutral|
|Wizard||human, elf, gnome, orc||Neutral, Chaotic|
All classes permit male and female adventurers, except the Valkyrie which must be female.
The initial pet is a little dog for Cavemen, Rangers, and Samurai, a kitten for Wizards, a saddled pony for Knights, and a random choice of a kitten or little dog for all others (or the user's choice in his options).
The main trunk of the dungeon begins at level 1, where the game begins, and proceeds down stairs to Medusa's Lair and the Castle. From there, it is necessary to enter a trap door to the Valley of the Dead. Further stairs down eventually lead to the invocation level. Performing the invocation ritual at the vibrating square opens the stairs to the Sanctum.
With the Amulet of Yendor in hand, the adventurer may ascend from level 1 into the Plane of Earth; thence s/he may proceed through magic portals to the planes of Air, Fire, and Water, and thence to the Astral Plane. Offering the Amulet of Yendor on the correct high altar wins the game.
Along the way, one will encounter these branches and special levels:
- A second staircase to the Gnomish Mines. Therein, one will find Mine Town and, at the end, the bottom level with a luckstone.
- The Oracle level.
- An upward staircase to Sokoban.
- A possible Bigroom.
- The Rogue level.
- The magic portal to the Quest.
- A possible magic portal, inside a vault, to Fort Ludios.
- Medusa's Lair.
- The Castle.
- The Valley of the Dead. Gehennom begins here, and it is no longer safe to pray.
- The lairs of Asmodeus, Juiblex, Baalzebub, and Orcus.
- A second upward staircase to Vlad's Tower.
- The Wizard's Tower; it is visible but not accessible from here.
- A Fake Tower containing a random Amulet.
- A Fake Tower containing a magic portal by which the Wizard's Tower may be entered.
To win the game, it is necessary to complete these tasks:
- Gather seven candles, possibly in Izchak's lighting shop in Mine Town.
- Complete the Quest and get the Bell of Opening.
- Obtain the Candelabrum of Invocation from Vlad the Impaler.
- Obtain the Book of the Dead from the Wizard of Yendor.
- Proceed to the vibrating square and perform the invocation ritual.
- Obtain the Amulet of Yendor from the high priest of Moloch.
- Escape from the dungeon with it.
- Pass through the Elemental Planes.
- Arrive at the correct altar in the Astral Plane.
- Offer the Amulet of Yendor to the god of your alignment.
Special rooms are:
- throne room
- treasure zoo
- leprechaun hall
- cockatrice nest
Special dungeon features are:
- arrow trap
- dart trap
- falling rock trap
- squeaky board
- bear trap
- land mine
- rolling boulder trap
- sleeping gas trap
- rust trap
- fire trap
- spiked pit
- teleportation trap
- level teleporter
- magic portal
- monsters disguised as statues
- magic trap
- anti-magic field
- polymorph trap
- the vibrating square; present since NetHack 3.1.0, but now treated as a trap for searching
NetHack 3.6.0 introduces no new monsters.
The following monsters may be encountered:
New objects are indicated in boldface.
Artifacts in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
|Frost Brand||long sword||Unaligned|
|Fire Brand||long sword||Unaligned|
|Vorpal Blade||long sword||Neutral|
The following are Quest artifacts:
|The Orb of Detection||crystal ball||Lawful||Archeologist|
|The Heart of Ahriman||luckstone||Neutral||Barbarian|
|The Sceptre of Might||mace||Lawful||Caveman|
|The Staff of Aesculapius||quarterstaff||Neutral||Healer|
|The Magic Mirror of Merlin||mirror||Lawful||Knight|
|The Eyes of the Overworld||pair of lenses||Neutral||Monk|
|The Mitre of Holiness||helm of brilliance||Lawful||Priest|
|The Longbow of Diana||bow||Chaotic||Ranger|
|The Master Key of Thievery||skeleton key||Chaotic||Rogue|
|The Tsurugi of Muramasa||tsurugi||Lawful||Samurai|
|The Platinum Yendorian Express Card||credit card||Neutral||Tourist||If TOURIST defined at compile time|
|The Orb of Fate||crystal ball||Neutral||Valkyrie|
|The Eye of the Aethiopica||amulet of ESP||Neutral||Wizard|
Amulets in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
- amulet of ESP
- amulet of life saving
- amulet of strangulation
- amulet of restful sleep
- amulet versus poison
- amulet of change
- amulet of unchanging
- amulet of reflection
- amulet of magical breathing
- Amulet of Yendor (and cheap plastic imitation)
Food items in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
|huge chunk of meat||%|
|glob of gray ooze||%|
|glob of brown pudding||%|
|glob of green slime||%|
|glob of black pudding||%|
|sprig of wolfsbane||%|
|clove of garlic||%|
|lump of royal jelly||%|
Weapons in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
|elven short sword||)|
|orcish short sword||)|
|dwarvish short sword||)|
|bec de corbin||)|
|rubber hose||)||if KOPS defined at compile time|
Tools in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
|bag of holding||(|
|bag of tricks||(|
|credit card||(||If TOURIST defined at compile time|
|expensive camera||(||If TOURIST defined at compile time|
|pair of lenses||(|
|can of grease||(|
|horn of plenty||(|
|drum of earthquake||(|
|Candelabrum of Invocation||(|
|Bell of Opening||(|
Armor items in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
- potion of gain ability
- potion of restore ability
- potion of confusion
- potion of blindness
- potion of paralysis
- potion of speed
- potion of levitation
- potion of hallucination
- potion of invisibility
- potion of see invisible
- potion of healing
- potion of extra healing
- potion of gain level
- potion of enlightenment
- potion of monster detection
- potion of object detection
- potion of gain energy
- potion of sleeping
- potion of full healing
- potion of polymorph
- potion of booze
- potion of sickness
- potion of fruit juice
- potion of acid
- potion of oil
- potion of water (always ! )
Scrolls in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
- scroll of enchant armor
- scroll of destroy armor
- scroll of confuse monster
- scroll of scare monster
- scroll of remove curse
- scroll of enchant weapon
- scroll of create monster
- scroll of taming
- scroll of genocide
- scroll of light
- scroll of teleportation
- scroll of gold detection
- scroll of food detection
- scroll of identify
- scroll of magic mapping
- scroll of amnesia
- scroll of fire
- scroll of earth
- scroll of punishment
- scroll of charging
- scroll of stinking cloud
- scroll of mail (if MAIL defined at compile time)
- scroll of blank paper
- wand of light
- wand of secret door detection
- wand of enlightenment
- wand of create monster
- wand of wishing
- wand of nothing
- wand of striking
- wand of make invisible
- wand of slow monster
- wand of speed monster
- wand of undead turning
- wand of polymorph
- wand of cancellation
- wand of teleportation
- wand of opening
- wand of locking
- wand of probing
- wand of digging
- wand of magic missile
- wand of fire
- wand of sleep
- wand of cold
- wand of death
- wand of lightning
- spellbook of dig
- spellbook of magic missile
- spellbook of fireball
- spellbook of cone of cold
- spellbook of sleep
- spellbook of finger of death
- spellbook of light
- spellbook of detect monsters
- spellbook of healing
- spellbook of knock
- spellbook of force bolt
- spellbook of confuse monster
- spellbook of cure blindness
- spellbook of drain life
- spellbook of slow monster
- spellbook of wizard lock
- spellbook of create monster
- spellbook of detect food
- spellbook of cause fear
- spellbook of clairvoyance
- spellbook of cure sickness
- spellbook of charm monster
- spellbook of haste self
- spellbook of detect unseen
- spellbook of levitation
- spellbook of extra healing
- spellbook of restore ability
- spellbook of invisibility
- spellbook of detect treasure
- spellbook of remove curse
- spellbook of magic mapping
- spellbook of identify
- spellbook of turn undead
- spellbook of polymorph
- spellbook of teleport away
- spellbook of create familiar
- spellbook of cancellation
- spellbook of protection
- spellbook of jumping
- spellbook of stone to flesh
- novel (always + )
- spellbook of blank paper (always + )
- Book of the Dead (always + )
- ring of adornment
- ring of gain strength
- ring of gain constitution
- ring of increase accuracy
- ring of increase damage
- ring of protection
- ring of regeneration
- ring of searching
- ring of sustain ability
- ring of stealth
- ring of levitation
- ring of hunger
- ring of aggravate monster
- ring of conflict
- ring of warning
- ring of poison resistance
- ring of fire resistance
- ring of cold resistance
- ring of shock resistance
- ring of free action
- ring of slow digestion
- ring of teleportation
- ring of teleport control
- ring of polymorph
- ring of polymorph control
- ring of invisibility
- ring of see invisible
- ring of protection from shape changers
Stones in NetHack 3.6.0 are:
|fluorite||* * * *|
and worthless pieces of white, blue, red, yellowish brown, orange, yellow, black, green, and violet glass.
Other items not appearing in the above categories are:
|statue||monster letter in white, e.g. F, or grayscale tile|
|heavy iron ball||0|